Volunteers are essential to our mission of connecting people with plants. Each year our volunteers donate 3500 hours of their time to help in virtually every area of our Smithsonian Gardens.
Volunteers provide diverse expertise and experience to our programs, gardens, greenhouse and special events. In turn, volunteers work alongside expert staff and have many opportunities for learning and gaining experience.
- Help grow and maintain garden beds, with staff supervision
- Inform and answer visitor questions about the plant collection
- Work outside from April through October
- Interact with Smithsonian Gardens' visitors of all ages
- Encourage visitor exploration of plants, design, and horticulture
- Utilize storytelling and interactive activities
- Answer general questions about Smithsonian Gardens
- Opportunity to assist with biennial Orchid Exhibit and provide interpretations of the exhibit
We are not currently recruiting for Garden Interpreters. If you are interested in an Interpreter opportunity, we encourage you to submit an application. Applications will be kept on file for 1 year or until the next recruitment.
- Propagation and care of greenhouse plants
- Work with our extensive Orchid Collection
- Assist with plant installations within the museum spaces
We are not currently recruiting for Greenhouse Volunteers. If you are interested in a Greenhouse opportunity, we encourage you to submit an application. Applications will be kept on file for 1 year or until the next recruitment.
- Opportunities to work with and learn from expert staff
- Share your experiences with visitors
- Meet a wide array of visitors from across the world
- Enjoy a 20% discount at Smithsonian cafes and shops