Skip to main content

Alford -- Little Sutton

Object Details

sova.aag.gca_ref17551
GUID
https://n2t.net/ark:/65665/kb6ecea7dc6-943e-4d98-826a-d6639a770e25
General
Little Sutton, approximately 80 acres, was built in 1941 as a summer home. A garden plot, large enough to feed the family, was planted north of the house soon after it was built. The south terrace and porch has an outdoor fireplace and is planted with a yellow sedum This is bordered with low field stone walls and edged with roses and blue flowering bulbs. The owners added a square herb garden on the east side of the house near the kitchen door in 1942. In 1956, the main garden (now called the Terraced Garden) drawings were finalized and planted as well as the addition of a swimming pool to the south of the house. The bog garden and "bog pool," added in 1958, is shielded by Mugho pines, hemlock and junipers. Three years later, a more formal herb garden, two lathe houses, a fountain, two terraces edged in red brick rick rack fashion, and an entrance garden were added. The terrace near the house takes full advantage of the view of Mount Everett to the south and west.
Persons associated with the property include:Harding and Seaver (house architects, 1941); Marconica (landscape architects, 1941-?); Edmund G. Wilco (landscape architect, 1952); Sermini and Sons (stone masons); Roy Hare, Jonathan H. Rose (architects, 1963-1997); Santogostino (artist of large garden mosaic)
Landscape architect
Wilcox, Edmund G.
Marconica
Provenance
Lenox Garden Club
Collection Creator
Garden Club of America
Place
Little Sutton (Alford, Massachusetts)
United States of America -- Massachusetts -- Berkshire County -- Alford
Topic
Gardens -- Massachusetts -- Alford
Formal gardens
Herb gardens
Landscape architect
Wilcox, Edmund G.
Marconica
Provenance
Lenox Garden Club
See more items in
The Garden Club of America collection
The Garden Club of America collection / Series 1: United States Garden Images / Massachusetts
Sponsor
A project to describe images in this finding aid received Federal support from the Smithsonian Collections Care Initiative, administered by the National Collections Program.
Custodial History
The Lenox Garden Club facilitated the submission of this garden's documentation.
Archival Repository
Archives of American Gardens
Identifier
AAG.GCA, File MA345
Type
Archival materials
Collection Citation
Smithsonian Institution, Archives of American Gardens, The Garden Club of America collection.
Collection Rights
Archives of American Gardens encourages the use of its archival materials for non-commercial, educational and personal use under the fair use provision of U.S. copyright law. Use or copyright restrictions may exist. It is incumbent upon the researcher to ascertain copyright status and assume responsibility for usage. All requests for duplication and use must be submitted in writing and approved by Archives of American Gardens. Please direct reference inquiries to the Archives of American Gardens: aag@si.edu.
Bibliography
Garden featured in Faith H. Swanson and Virginia B. Rady, Herb Garden Design (Hanover: University Press of New England, 1984), pp. 34-35.
Scope and Contents
The folder includes a work sheet, garden plan, vegetable garden diary (1943); copies of photographs, and copy of section in Herb Garden Design.
Collection Restrictions
Access to original archival materials by appointment only. Researcher must submit request for appointment in writing. Certain items may be restricted and not available to researchers. Please direct reference inquiries to the Archives of American Gardens: aag@si.edu.
Related Materials
Little Sutton related holdings consist of 1 folder (19 35 mm. slides)
AAG.GCA_ref17551
Large EAD
AAG.GCA
AAG
Record ID
ebl-1643208220039-1643210180554-2
Alford -- Little Sutton
Back to Top