Skip to main content

Beverly -- Eagle Rock

Object Details

sova.aag.gca_ref17556
GUID
https://n2t.net/ark:/65665/kb6031ef9a4-e147-486f-abf6-263c46a5af2d
Reproduction Note
There are two duplicate 35 mm. slides (MA075030) copied from an original postcard, which is not in the collection. Six 35 mm. slides are copies of original glass lantern slides. One 35 mm. slide (MA075049) is copy of original painting belonging to Society for the Preservation of New England Antiquities.
General
Eagle Rock, a 104-room brick "cottage" in the neoclassical style, was set in a romantic, 25-acre landscape. Built in 1904, this house became Henry Clay Frick's summer house. In 1969, tired of maintaining a house Helen Frick considered pretentious, she "carefully demolished" Eagle Rock, sending the billiard room paneling, the car and carriage collection and sections of wrought iron fence to the Frick Art Museum she was building near Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.
Landscape architect
Hudak, Joseph
Architect
Little, Arthur
Former owner
Frick, Henry Clay, 1849-1919
Frick, Helen Clay, 1888-1984
Architect
Browne, Herbert W. C.
Landscape architect
Olmsted Brothers
Innocenti & Webel
Architect
Steffian, Steffian and Bradley
Landscape architect
Olmsted, Frederick Law, 1822-1903
Collection Creator
Garden Club of America
Place
Eagle Rock (Pride's Crossing, Massachusetts)
United States of America -- Massachusetts -- Essex County -- Beverly
Topic
Gardens -- Massachusetts -- Beverly -- Pride's Crossing
Landscape architect
Hudak, Joseph
Architect
Little, Arthur
Former owner
Frick, Henry Clay, 1849-1919
Frick, Helen Clay, 1888-1984
Architect
Browne, Herbert W. C.
Landscape architect
Olmsted Brothers
Innocenti & Webel
Architect
Steffian, Steffian and Bradley
Landscape architect
Olmsted, Frederick Law, 1822-1903
See more items in
The Garden Club of America collection
The Garden Club of America collection / Series 1: United States Garden Images / Massachusetts
Sponsor
A project to describe images in this finding aid received Federal support from the Smithsonian Collections Care Initiative, administered by the National Collections Program.
Archival Repository
Archives of American Gardens
Identifier
AAG.GCA, File MA075
Type
Archival materials
Collection Citation
Smithsonian Institution, Archives of American Gardens, The Garden Club of America collection.
Collection Rights
Archives of American Gardens encourages the use of its archival materials for non-commercial, educational and personal use under the fair use provision of U.S. copyright law. Use or copyright restrictions may exist. It is incumbent upon the researcher to ascertain copyright status and assume responsibility for usage. All requests for duplication and use must be submitted in writing and approved by Archives of American Gardens. Please direct reference inquiries to the Archives of American Gardens: aag@si.edu.
Bibliography
Property featured in The Henry Clay Frick Houses by Martha Frick Symington Sanger.
Scope and Contents
The folder includes worksheets.
Collection Restrictions
Access to original archival materials by appointment only. Researcher must submit request for appointment in writing. Certain items may be restricted and not available to researchers. Please direct reference inquiries to the Archives of American Gardens: aag@si.edu.
Related Materials
Eagle Rock related holdings consist of 1 folder (39 35 mm. slides and 13 glass autochromes)
Plans and drawing exist in the Olmsted Association. Drawings and photographs are located at the Helen C. Frick Foundation in Pittsburgh, PA. Drawings by Arthur Little are located in the Society for the Preservation of New England Antiquities.
Records related to this site can be found at the Frederick Law Olmsted National Historic Site, Olmsted Job Number 01071, W. C. Loring.
AAG.GCA_ref17556
Large EAD
AAG.GCA
AAG
Record ID
ebl-1643208220039-1643210180560-2
Back to Top