Skip to main content

Augusta National Golf Club

Object Details

sova.aag.gca_ref23455
GUID
https://n2t.net/ark:/65665/kb6b7e1143e-4122-4960-96f9-d62282785317
Former Title
Fruitlands
General
This property was originally owned by D. Redmond and called "Fruitlands." In 1857, he sold it to the Louis Mathieu Berckman family. The land consisted of 365 acres that were once an indigo plantation. Along with his son Julius Alphonse, an agronomist and horticulturist by profession, they formed a business in 1858 to import trees and plants from various countries.With the Berckman's, the site would later become one of the first commercial nurseries in the South--Fruitlands Nursery. One of the most notable features of the property is the entry avenue that Berckman planted with magnolias. Prosper Berckman was the one that popularized a plant called the azalea. (Sport's Illustrated 9 April 2003) The Berckman's also propagated Ligustrum Amurense, commonly known as privet hedge. Upon Prosper's death in 1910, the business stopped operations. Upon Bobby Jones' retirement after the 1930 U.S. Amateur, Jones set out to create a golf course. In 1932, the Augusta National Golf Club was formed on the site. Dr. Alister MacKenzie designed the golf course and is now home to the Masters.
Gift of Mrs. William Bush.
Historic plate number: "2."
Former owner
Redmond, Dennis
Berckmans, L. E. M., Dr.
Berckmans, P. J.
Creator
Jones, Bobby, 1902-1971
Architect
Mackenzie, Alister
Provenance
Bush, William G., Mrs.
Former owner
Fruitland Nurseries (Augusta, Ga.)
Names
Augusta National Golf Club
Collection Creator
Garden Club of America
Place
Georgia -- Augusta
United States of America -- Georgia -- Richmond County -- Augusta
Topic
Roads
Fences
Trees
People
Gardens -- Georgia -- Augusta
Former owner
Redmond, Dennis
Berckmans, L. E. M., Dr.
Berckmans, P. J.
Creator
Jones, Bobby, 1902-1971
Architect
Mackenzie, Alister
Provenance
Bush, William G., Mrs.
Former owner
Fruitland Nurseries (Augusta, Ga.)
See more items in
The Garden Club of America collection
The Garden Club of America collection / Series 1: United States Garden Images / Georgia / GA010: Augusta -- Augusta National Golf Club
Sponsor
A project to describe images in this finding aid received Federal support from the Smithsonian Collections Care Initiative, administered by the National Collections Program.
Extent
1 Photograph (lantern slide, hand-colored, 3.25 x 4 in.)
Date
1930 Nov.
Archival Repository
Archives of American Gardens
Identifier
AAG.GCA, Item GA010001
Type
Archival materials
Photographs
Lantern slides
Collection Citation
Smithsonian Institution, Archives of American Gardens, The Garden Club of America collection.
Collection Rights
Archives of American Gardens encourages the use of its archival materials for non-commercial, educational and personal use under the fair use provision of U.S. copyright law. Use or copyright restrictions may exist. It is incumbent upon the researcher to ascertain copyright status and assume responsibility for usage. All requests for duplication and use must be submitted in writing and approved by Archives of American Gardens. Please direct reference inquiries to the Archives of American Gardens: aag@si.edu.
Genre/Form
Lantern slides
Collection Restrictions
Access to original archival materials by appointment only. Researcher must submit request for appointment in writing. Certain items may be restricted and not available to researchers. Please direct reference inquiries to the Archives of American Gardens: aag@si.edu.
AAG.GCA_ref23455
Large EAD
AAG.GCA
AAG
Record ID
ebl-1643208220039-1643210178815-1
Augusta National Golf Club: 1930 Nov.
Back to Top