The internship is ideal for students majoring in Landscape Architecture who are exploring a career in a public garden or other public institution. The internship is an in-person opportunity to assist the Smithsonian’s Landscape Architects with a wide-variety of projects that range in scale from large-scale master plans to garden exhibit design and planting design. Intern projects typically involve the development of designs, presentations, and/or planning reports. All assignments require effective project management skills.
Interns participate in all aspects of the planning, design, and construction process, from review of design documents to site visits, detailed exhibit design, preparation of illustrative plans, renderings, planting plans, product research, construction observation, and meetings with architects, engineers, museum representatives, and approving agencies that give a sense of the breadth and depth of landscape architecture at the Smithsonian Institution in Washington, DC’s Monumental Core. Experience in CAD and the Adobe Creative Suite is required.
In addition to collaborating on large-scale capital projects, landscape architect interns assist with designs for horticulture displays within our garden galleries and exhibitions for exterior and interior gardens, like SG’s biennial Orchid Exhibit and campus-wide exhibition series.
- Applicants must be enrolled in a landscape architecture program or recently graduated from one. Selection is based on both an evaluation of the applicant’s application and available positions.
- Proficiency in AutoCAD and Adobe Creative Suite (InDesign, Illustrator, and Photoshop) required.
- Proficiency in 3-D modeling programs preferred (SketchUp, Rhino). Proficiency in hand sketches desired.
- Self-motivated and willing both to work independently and to collaborate.
- Working in public gardens.
- Learning about Landscape Architecture in the public sector.
- Experiencing a collaborative office environment that includes horticulturists, arborists, entomologists, curators, educators, and irrigation technicians.
Applicants must be enrolled in a landscape architecture program or recently graduated from one. Selection is based on both an evaluation of the applicant’s application and available positions.
Candidates must pay for their own travel, housing, and subsistence during the period of the internship. Limited number of stipends available.
Requirements for applying to the Smithsonian Gardens intern program:
- Submit an online application.
- Two letters of recommendation
- Portfolio (max. 10 pages/5MB uploaded via SOLAA using the CV/Resume link)
- College transcript(s)
- Essay describing background, interest in field, and career goals.
Completed application, essay, academic records, and two letters of recommendation should be submitted online through the Smithsonian Online Academic Appointment System.