Mushrooms provide a nutritious food source to humans and animals, including squirrels, deer, slugs, and flies. Some mushrooms are edible for humans, while others are extremely poisonous. Do not forage for mushrooms, if possible check out a local farmers market to purchase mushrooms.
Try out the recipe below for an easy and tasty way to enjoy mushrooms in your next meal!
Mediterranean Grilled Portabella Mushrooms Recipe
- 4 Portabella mushrooms stem and gills removed
- ½ cup heirloom cherry tomatoes
- 2 Tbs pesto sauce
- 1 Tbs olives
- ½ cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1 Tbs soy sauce
- 2 Tbs olive oil
- ½ Tbs lemon juice
- Balsamic glaze to garnish
- Prepare the portabella mushrooms by removing the stem and gills
- In a bowl mix together heirloom cherry tomatoes, pesto sauce, olives and feta cheese
- In a separate small bowl, combine soy sauce, olive oil and lemon juice
- Brush both sides of the mushroom caps with the sauce mixture
- Place the mushroom caps stem side down on the grill, grill for 3 minutes
- Flip the mushroom caps and stuff the caps with the tomato and cheese mixture, grill for 3 more minutes or until the mushrooms are soft and the cheese has melted.
- Drizzle with balsamic glaze